Forum Response: Ch1_Ghosts In The Schoolyard: InClass Assignment "Reading Response Class Opener" Oct 1

" choice" within CPS

" choice" within CPS

by Tahoorayah Moring -
Number of replies: 0

A. Reading Chapter 1 made me think, Do Black parents really have a choice when it came to choosing schools?

that's what I think is important about this conversation.  The  “Choice” is offering parents the freedom to select schools based on zip code or how far, quality, and fit, theoretically improving access to better education. However, Ewing highlights that the reality for many families, especially in low-income areas, is far different. School choice often leads to the closure of neighborhood schools primarily those in Black and Brown communities which can destabilize entire communities and disrupt children’s educational paths.

B. My key takeaway from Chapter 1 is that every individual deserves access to a high-quality education, and it is the fundamental responsibility of public schools to provide that opportunity. Ewing raises a critical question: "How can you have a public school and then say everybody in the public can't go to it?" This highlights the inherent contradiction in a system that claims to serve the public but systematically excludes certain groups, especially marginalized communities, from equitable access.