Booker T. Washington Forum Response

Booker T assignement

Booker T assignement

by Isaiah Dotson -
Number of replies: 1

Isaiah Dotson

English 1240 

9/21/2024

Booker T. Washington argues that industrial education is African American’s key to  financial success and will  integration of White and Blacks post the Civil War.  According to Booker T. Washington, students receive a better educational experience out in the fields learning trades such as creating bricks to construct buildings rather than reading several pages and classroom discussions about the idea creating buildings (Washington p.14). Washington’s view is supported as he accounts the students’ hands on learning of brick making set themselves up to become successful brick makers in the southern states which the key to self-reliance and financial security (Washington 2008). The impact Washington made in developing skilled Black brick maker is become evident as Washington cites

Chapter 10

Many white people who had had no contact with the school, and perhaps no sympathy with it, came to us to buy bricks because they found out that ours were good bricks. The making of these bricks caused many of the white residents of the neighbourhood to begin to feel that the education of the Negro was not making him worthless, but that in educating our students we were adding something to the wealth and comfort of the community (Washington p12-14).”

Washington’s educational view becoming a success in society is significant because it set an early tone for Black and White integration of coexisting since the civil war to created division in the south. African American’s were able to financial support themselves and use the money to invest in other buildings and add value into their own communities. This also motivated future Black generations become interested in expanding their industrial skills, creating values such as wagons, carts, buggies that further flourished early Black communities.

Chapter 11

Booker T. Washington argues that industrial education is the key to Black recognition of Whites over the fight for equality in the political system.

Washington asserts that African Americans that fight for the right to vote would end up being detrimental both Black and White integration (Washington p. 5) Blacks will grow angry to not being allowed to vote which will cause resistance to Whites anti-voting laws. This will increase Whites temptation to lynch Black and Blacks temptation to lynch White people(Washington p.5).

Raising awareness of the effectiveness of industrial education will make Blacks more reputable than the fight for equality in the political system. Washington accounts that his teachings and influence of industrial educations gathered the attention and recognition from both Black and White people that thanked him for his success. Washington cites

“The coloured people from miles around came to the school to get a look at General Armstrong, about whom they had heard so much. The General was not only welcomed by the members of my own race, but by the Southern white people as well (Washington 2008 P.4 )” With God's help, I believe that I have completely rid myself of any ill feeling toward the Southern white man for any wrong that he may have inflicted upon my race. I am made to feel just as happy now when I am rendering service to Southern white men as when the service is rendered to a member of my own race (P.6).

The significance in these quotes explain that Black and White integration can peacefully exist thought the exchanging of services because it bring two races together to reach a common ground of the human necessities in life rather than the right for political equality as mention at the beginning of chapter 11.

Chapter 12

Quote:

I am not a "beggar." My experience and observation have convinced me that persistent asking outright for money from the rich does not, as a rule, secure help. I have usually proceeded on the principle that persons who possess sense enough to earn money have sense enough to know how to give it away, and that the mere making known of the facts regarding Tuskegee, and especially the facts regarding the work of the graduates, has been more effective than outright begging. I think that the presentation of facts, on a high, dignified plane, is all the begging that most rich people care for.

This quote is significant as it speaks to how in our society the people that is always looking for easy come up life are presented as people who not hard and there is does not have nothing to show for themselves or that they are even trying which why people are less eager to help.