Booker T. Washington Forum Response

Booker T. Washington

Booker T. Washington

by Te?vian Clinton -
Number of replies: 0

In Chapter 10, Washington believes education should build upon moral character in addition to teaching the useful skills required for self-sufficiency. He believed that education could help the African American people rise and become more respected members of society. Washington felt that the purpose of education was to promote independence and provide people with the knowledge to succeed on their own. Emphasizing the value of resilience and hard work in attaining both individual and societal growth. "My plan was not to teach them to work in the old way, but to show them how to make the forces of nature—air, water, steam, electricity, horse-power—assist them in their labour".( Washington, para 1). This quote immediately stated what education was to Washington. He wanted to be knowledgeable and he wanted African American students to know how to use the knowledge they received and control their lives.

In chapter 11, Washington believes education is a way to develop a feeling of responsibility, discipline, and better character. But, the ultimate purpose of education is to improve society as a whole by giving all people the skills they need to succeed and make valuable contributions to society. This emphasis on hands-on learning is a reflection of his bigger idea. He believed that people could achieve social progress through hard work and knowledge. " With God's help, I believe that I have completely rid myself of any ill feeling toward the Southern white man for any wrong that he may have inflicted upon my race. I am made to feel just as happy now when I am rendering service to Southern white men as when the service is rendered to a member of my own race."( Washington, para 4). This quote represents the growth Washington made to help the growth of everyone in society. He believed that to improve society everyone has to play their role.

In Chapter 12, Washington emphasizes that education should provide people with the skills they need to succeed in the workplace and become financially independent, in addition to developing intellectual growth. Washington demonstrates his belief in obtaining funding for hands-on learning by outlining his efforts to raise money for the Tuskegee Institute in this chapter. He believes that African Americans can create the institutions necessary for their success by working hard, getting support from the community, and generating money effectively. "In order to be successful in any kind of undertaking, I think the main thing is for one to grow to the point where he completely forgets himself; that is, to lose himself in a great cause. In proportion as one loses himself in the way, in the same degree does he get the highest happiness out of his work."( Washington, para 8). This quote represents a moral that education should teach. Due to this being a moral, Washington used it to gain financial stability for Tuskegee.