Booker T. Washington Forum Response

Booker T. Washington

Booker T. Washington

by Aldo Jimenez -
Number of replies: 0

Booker T. Washington believed that African Americans should focus on practical, vocational education to gain economic independence. He emphasized learning trades and skills to become self reliant. Booker T. Washington also stressed the importance of hard work, moral character, and dignity in labor, encouraging African Americans to uplift themselves through self-help.  

Chapter X: "The individual who can do something that the world wants done will, in the end, make his way regardless of race."

This quote is significant to Washington's beliefs about education as he suggested that social equality would come gradually through economic progress. 

Chapter Xi: "I learned the lesson that great men cultivate love, and that only little men cherish a spirit of hatred. I learned that assistance given to the weak makes the one who gives it strong; and that oppression of the unfortunate makes one weak."

This quote is significant with the ideology of Washington, he emphasized practical skills and self-reliance. He believed in having values of love, patience, and a strong work ethic, as essential components of education.    This ties into the philosophy that African Americans should focus on skill-building and contributing to society. 

Chapter Xii: "I have always avoided what the world calls "begging." I often tell people that I have never "begged" any money and that I am not a "beggar."

This quote shows Washington's belief in hard work.  He highlighted the importance of integrity and effort it's how people should earn their way not through charity. This reflects his educational views, which focused on helping African Americans through education and personal responsibility.