Booker T. Washington Forum Response

Booker T Washington's ideas on education/ important quotes

Booker T Washington's ideas on education/ important quotes

by Mo'Nay Mosley -
Number of replies: 0

Chapters 10, 11, and 12 reveal that Washington believes, "The man who learns at Tuskegee to build and repair wagons and carts is regarded as a benefactor by both races in the community where he goes. The people with whom he lives and works are going to think twice before they part with such a man." (Washington 2013, " A Harder Task Than Making Bricks Without Straw." para. 15). Washington argues that it is important for Tuskegee to include industrial technology teaching because pushing students to learn trades also benefits the community and in turn it forces society to treat these students with respect regardless of color.

An important Quote from chapter 10: "They discovered that we were supplying a real want in the community. The making of these bricks caused many of the white residents of the neighborhood to begin to feel that the education of the Negro was not making him worthless, but that in educating our students we were adding something to the wealth and comfort of the community." (Washington 2013, " A Harder Task Than Making Bricks Without Straw." para. 12) This quote stuck out to me because the trade of brick making alone made the white residents realize that educating Black people would not go to waste and it proved that there was worth in the mind of the Black individual.

An important Quote from chapter 11: "From the first I have sought to impress the students with the idea that Tuskegee is not my institution, or that of the officers, but that it is their institution, and that they have as much interest in it as any of the trustees or instructors. I have further sought to have them feel that I am at the institution as their friend and adviser, and not as their overseer. It has been my aim to have them speak with directness and frankness about anything that concerns the life of the school." (Washington 2013, " Making Their Beds Before They Could Lie On Them," para. 14) Washington explains that the students of the institution should treat it as if its theirs, he encourages the students to speak up about the concerns they have about their education and life on campus as a whole. This shows how dedicated Washington was to ensuring that as principal, he tailored the school as much as possible towards the students.

An important Quote from chapter 12: "In the city of Boston I have rarely called upon an individual for funds that I have not been thanked for calling, usually before I could get an opportunity to thank the donor for the money. In that city the donors seem to feel, in a large degree, that an honour is being conferred upon them in their being permitted to give." (Washington 2013, " Raising Money," para. 14). To me this was an important quote because it proves how well Washington was running and improving the school, he was doing so well that individuals were honored to donate to the institution because they knew that he would make good use of the money.